Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Suffering, Obedience, and Grace

How many of us cringe when we hear the word "suffering".. how about "obedience"? If we don't cringe at the word, most of us will cringe when we think about someone getting on to us for doing something wrong, like our mothers, using our full names when we were little, right after we ruined our clothes, or smashed some family heirloom... But what if this "suffering" was for the glory of God? [See 1 Peter 4:19 and Romans 8:28] Have you ever wondered... why on earth did God put me in the situation I am today? -- He did it BECAUSE you can glorify Him most where you are right now. There is a story about a man...

One day God took one of His servants, named Servant, to a high mountain and said to Servant, “See this huge rock?”

Servant said, “Yes!”

God said, “I want you to push it until I return. Will you do that?”

“Yes, I will,” replied Servant. So he undertook the task.

Years and years went by and the servant did not see God. But, because he had promised, he continued to push the huge rock.

After many more years of pushing, Servant became discouraged. He began to think, “I don’t see any reason why I should push this huge rock. It makes no sense and I see no reason for doing it. This is worthless.”

Soon after that, God appeared before Him and said, “Are you faithfully pushing my rock?”

Servant said, “Yes! But this makes no sense to me. I’ve been pushing this huge rock for years and it hasn’t moved an inch. I just want to give up.”

Then God said, “I never told you to move the rock. I only wanted you to push it. Step back and look at yourself.”

Servant stepped back and looked at himself. What he found was not the small, weak skinny servant who began pushing the rock. He saw a big, strong muscular servant who was fit for any task God may have for him.

Servant, don’t stop pushing your rock. Life is full of them, and God often sends us to push them. Don’t pick your own. Let God show you your rock. Then faithfully push it, and wait in faithfulness. He will explain eventually. But the goal isn't simply obedience. It is oneness with the Lord that leads to complete obedience. Oneness with Him, without anything interfering, is the only good thing. Then He can say, "Come, follow me."

Sometimes the most important thing you can do, is to obey. Even when it doesn't make sense. [Proverbs 3:5-6] -- Remember when you were a small child, and adults would tell you not to do something.. like don't touch the stove? They told you not to touch the stove because it was hot.. if you touched it, you would get burnt. If you're like me at all, you may not have wanted to obey them, but it was the best thing... if you didn't, you would get punished.. if you're like me, it wouldn't be just sitting in the corner... sitting in the corner would have sounded good compared to what my parents would do... but God.. has grace, and patience. If we mess up, we try again. Isn't that amazing?

Have you ever thought how many times you and I have messed up??.. Do you know how many times God wants to forgive us? We just need to ask, and truly mean it.. There is no hiding anything from God. We need to learn to build our relationship with the father, to the point that we say, "I'll do anything for You, Lord, because you are my Father, and my God, and You are worthy.".. so much to the degree of being willing to sit on a shelf and not do anything, if God tells us too... or to hold a grocery bag.. or clean the litter box. It doesn't matter too much what you are doing for God.. it's what's in your heart that counts. God's calling you.. are you talking to Him? spending time with Him? If you have trouble.. ask for help... Our life's with God should be so dependent on Him, that we should be like two year old's.. looking up to their Father for all their needs, and confident that they will receive what they need

No matter what the circumstances, we should ALWAYS seek first the kingdom. [Matthew 6:33]

Isn't God amazing? He forgives us of everything, puts US in His glorious will [if we let Him], AND is patient with us, no matter what. The Bible says God is love [1 John 4:8] He loves us more than all the stars in the sky.. I encourage you to get in touch with Him today.. He's waiting and longing for our return. [Luke 15:11-32]

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment