Saturday, November 7, 2009

Graduation, Future plans, and our hearts.


Invitations. Senior Pictures. Invitations. Cap and Gown ordering. College applications. Future planning. Taking the SAT's. Where are you going to go to college, and what are you going to do to make a living? Who will you be? How on earth are you going to get this right, you don't want to make a mistake and then screw everything up... Will I pass Algebra? If you do, will you pass government.. Will you be walking across the stage in your cap and gown? How will you be remembered your Senior year? You only get one life.. how are you going to spend it?

These were the thoughts that have been passing though my mind the past few weeks. We've ordered gaps and gowns. Invites. Hoodies. Memory books. Things to "preserve high school in my memory and share my accomplishments with loved ones.".. or at least, that's what they told me. My mind is set.. I'm going to graduate.. I'm going to become someone.. I'm not going to be a nobody... or will I be? Will I be the girl who serves coffee to you every morning? How about the girl who checks you out at Walmart? Who knows. I want to say I have an idea what's going to happen in my future. Truth is, I know what I want to have happen... but what if that's not what happens? What if something totally different happens?

Then I realized, It doesn't matter. God knows what he's doing. He knows what he wants to do in our lives, and he will do it if we grant him access to grow and work in our hearts. It's just my job to seek Him. Jeremiah 29:11-14 NIV says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." Psalm 14:2 -3 says, "The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. All have turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one." -- Okay, so we're all evil, and yet, God has a plan for us -- a plan to prosper, not to harm, and to give us a future. Romans 5:8 says, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Okay -- so God loves us so much He sent His Son, whom is still GOD, and died for us, so that we might have eternal life. John 17:3 says, "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." -- So, now we need to know God... learn from him, and grow. In Jeremiah 29, as previously stated, it says "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." So, our job is to seek God. Seek first the kingdom.. [Matthew 6:33].

So instead of worrying [Matt. 6:25, do not worry..] about all of this.. future stuff, no matter what it is. Let us concern ourselves instead with spiritual things!

"Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the LORD your God." - 1st Chronicles 22:19

3 comments:

  1. That was a very good article. I'm very proud of you. God is growing you and using you in a great way. Pastor Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I really needed to read that right now. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Emily. You are truly maturing spiritually, and I am very proud of you! Praying for you daily.

    ReplyDelete